Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blooming Away!

More flowers!
I've seen so many pretty versions of this. If you look here, you'll find a list of blogs where you can see what other quilters are doing.
Check out the rest of Karen's blog, too--she has a number of great projects going. I'm especially interested in her "Dear Jane" quilt. Why? Oh...well...no special reason...
 As you can see, I'm still going strong!
Now I'm finding that the hardest part is tracing around the plastic template for my sewing lines. I may have been better off using paper piecing after all!
Janet from Quiltsalott isn't doing the SAL as far as I know, but look how beautiful her flowers are! Her blog is one of my favorites. Australian quilters seem to have a different way of using color, and Janet's color sense and workmanship are extraordinary. I suspect the whole color thing has something to do with being able to look out the window and see this (scroll down to the last picture.) Or these. Or this (scroll again!) Honestly, it makes me feel like I live in the Land of Boring Creatures. All I usually see when I look out my window are grackles and sparrows amongst the crabgrass. Anyway, not to be all fangirly, but it's really worth it to read the whole blog from the start. She has everything--great pictures, great quilts, great tutorials, great recipes, even a few squee-worthy baby pictures!

Sometime soon I need to figure out exactly how many hexagon flowers I'll need for a quilt. Then again, maybe it's not something I need to know at the moment! I might be better off just letting the blooms pile up in their basket before I discover that I need 1500 of them (totally made-up number, BTW.) Oh dear. What if I run out of fabric?? (Exit Lisa, laughing hysterically...)

8 comments:

  1. Blooming Away indeed!!!! I recently made a Dear Jane block with the same purple fabric, so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Your flowers are very pretty. I gather you're not in much danger of running out of fabric any time soon? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post.
    Love all your hexies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty flowers! I didn't try to figure out how many I needed for my quilt but I think that I have enough now for two quilts. LOL! They are addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your color choices! will make a great quilt someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hexie flowers are beautiful with my favorite fabrics - Judie and Jo's lines!! I didn't really think about how many flowers I will need till close to the 100th one, then pretty much decided from there. But the bad news is all I will have to make now are the background flowers which aren't as fun as the prints ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love your fabrics!!! Very nice flowers:-) I decided to start doing the joining pathways early on so it wouldn't be such a painful job now - so pleased I did - I think I would have got restless only doing white pathways now!! I love Janet's Quiltsallot blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete